7 December 2011

Appreciating the writer in me

Given my belief in a fluid and flexible 'world out there', one of my favorite pastimes is to consciously tinker around with something in my 'inner world' (eg., my thoughts and beliefs) and then look out for changes in the 'outer world'. So these days I am toying with adopting an identity of myself as an 'awesome writer'. Its fun! Honestly!

I carry this new imagined identity with me like a precious fragile vase that I have just bought and protect it from the nagging thoughts of the marks I got in my school essays, the comments of other people on my previous writing attempts, etc.

Today I appreciate myself for being a confident writer. I appreciate myself for deciding to start my day with writing, whether or not I have something to write about, and whether or not I have a hundred other things to do which seem 'pressingly urgent'. I really know by now how flexible time, energy and personal work schedules can be. So if I am a 'writer' then by default, 'writing is very important to me' and so what better way to start the day rather than doing what is most important.

I am also choosing not to focus on the output of what I am writing, or have written. I am focusing instead on the process of writing itself. How am I feeling in this moment as I allow my fingers to fly across the keyboard? Do I feel like a writer? Oh yes! You bet I do! Do I like it? Absolutely! Does it bring me alive? Sure it does! So if I do this everyday (come rain or shine), and feel like a writer everyday for some part of my time....then slowly and surely I will begin to buy more and more into the self identity of being a 'writer'.

Hurray for todays writing!

2 comments:

  1. You're definitely on the right path. Seems like you are having a good time exploring life and beauty around yourself and the writer within yourself. After all it is all that one wants right?!- Do what makes us happy and have fun doing it! Good going chika, and do what someone very wise once said - "LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY"

    -Parul/Tini

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the very best. I am sure reading your blogs here you will come out with flying colours.

    ReplyDelete